I’ve just completed another quote for a client, this is re-devlopment work to an exsisting website. I did not build the site so I went in not knowing what the website was like. The process made me think of a few things I always try and do around quoting for work which I can pass on:
1. Dont feel obliged to quote over the phone, go away and think about the work and your price.
2. Gather the client’s requirements and stick to them, its ok to suggest alternative ways of completing the work and other options.
3. If the requirements or your solution are unclear go back to the client and ask questions to resolve this before submitting your quote.
4. Work out your price based on your per day or hourly rate, double check your allocated time against your price.
5. Submit your quote in good time, include an approximate time frame for when the work can be started.
6. Make sure that everything is clear to the client and that they understand your quote and what they are commissioning.
7. Follow up with your client in good time, if you didnt get the job try to get feedback for next time.
8. Good luck!